Family Law AttorneyAlthough relationships end, care of children is something that lasts for many years after a divorce or separation. More often than not, one parent will be ordered to pay child support while the other parent will retain custody of the children. When disagreements arise regarding this funding, a lawyer can help parents address their differences and put a plan in place that will benefit the couple’s children.

Get a Family Law Rights attorney to help with your child support Issues!

Whether arrangements for child support are issued before or after a separation, once a court order for payment is made, the non-custodial parent must comply. The amount of support that is required can be based on a number of factors, most importantly the income of the non-custodial parent. If a disagreement regarding these payments arises, neither parent has the authority to raise or lower the child support amount. In order to make such a change, a motion must be filed with the court and is usually best handled by a lawyer for child support.

If the non-custodial parent cannot afford their current payments and wishes to have them lowered, proper documentation must be presented showing the court that their situation has changed. This can include such circumstances including job loss, illness or that the parent is contributing to costs that were not originally agreed upon. Generally, this motion is a request for the court to review the child support order because the situation that was initially considered has changed.

Once the court has reviewed the new situation, they will either uphold the original order or issue a new order for child support. Either way, when new guidelines are set forth, both parents must abide by them even if the custodial parent believes the payments are too low. Consequently, if the non-custodial parent does not uphold their end of the support order, the consequences can be great. A contempt of court motion may be filed and the non-custodial parent may have to pay all back child support or even serve time in jail.

When discussing issues of child support, parents should educate themselves on child support rights and contact an attorney to set up an agreement or make any modifications. A lawyer for child support can assist in such instances as raising or lowering a child support order and filing all appropriate paperwork with the court system. Following this approach ensures that any orders or adjustments fall within the confines of the law.

Find out how to address your child support issues with a Free Evaluation!

About The Author

3 thoughts on “How Lawyers Can Address Issues with Child Support”

  1. Can Ducthes co. Ny continually make me pay for ex wife’s daughter born (8-2-90). I currently pay over 1,000 dollars court ordered. Ex wife had a daughter when we met. And used job against me for custody. (Retired disabled police ofcr)

  2. Hi,

    I recently received an amended child support requiring me to pay a weekly amount. The problem is I get paid bi-weekly and the amount they want me to pay is twice what the court has ordered. This was all done in error by the state (Illinois)and I understand there is a process one must go through to correct it. My question is how do I go about getting back the money that was overpaid since it was through no fault of my own? That’s just a broad look at my scenario. There are more details to it but this has really caused a hardship for me and I’m hoping that there is some way I can be rewarded for my loss(es) since I have never missed a child support payment.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Protect Your Rights

We know you need support and we are here to help! Our team of attorneys and skilled professionals have helped thousands of customers secure their rights and we can do the same for you.

Call Now
Free Case Review
Scroll to Top