Common Legal Issues Surrounding Establishing Paternity

When a couple that is not married has a child, it is very important for them to establish paternity as soon as possible. The definition of paternity simply is “the state of being a father” and establishing paternity shortly after the child is born helps to protect the child, the mother and, most importantly the father, should the couple ever have to go to court to work out a custody or visitation agreement. Additionally, having paternity established helps a father to receive the benefits to which he is entitled.

Establishing PaternityBoth parents are legally responsible for their child regardless of their relationship status. Whether the couple is married, separated, divorced, or not even a couple, they are responsible for the upbringing, support, and protection of their child. Should the father of the child not want the child or ended the relationship before the child was born, he is still partially responsible for the child’s support. This is when paternity is important to make sure the mother of the child gets the financial support she needs.

Process of Naming a Child and Receiving a Birth Certificate

In many states, parents can give their child any first, middle, and last name they want to – the child does not have to have the mother’s or father’s last name to be considered a “legitimate.” The process of naming the child and receiving a birth certificate for that child is relatively straight forward – when the child is born, a hospital social worker or representative from the health department will meet with the mother at the hospital. The social worker or representative will ask for the following information:

  • Child’s name
  • Mother’s legal name
  • Father’s legal name
  • Health background of both parents
  • Father’s occupation

The social worker or representative will include this information on a form, which will then act as the basis for a birth certificate that will be issued by the state. Although this birth certificate will list both parents’ names, it will not make any indication of whether or not the parents are married.

Although the mother will be asked to give a father’s name, she does not have to do so. In some cases, mothers do not wish to list the father’s name or they may be unsure who the father is. Even if a father is not listed at the time of the child’s birth, it is possible to update the birth certificate at a later date to include that information. The Bureau of Vital Statistics or Department of Health has a process for adding a father’s name and unmarried fathers will need to sign an acknowledgment of paternity.

Naming a Father and Establishing Paternity

The easiest way for a couple to establish paternity of a child is for the father to be named on the child’s birth certificate. According to regulations from the United States of Department of Health and Human Services, all states must give unwed parents the opportunity to establish paternity of a child by signing an acknowledgment voluntarily. In many states, hospital personnel with make an extra effort to encourage the father to sign the birth certificate in order to cut down on the number of mothers on welfare – by having two parents responsible for the child, additional support should not be needed.

While some states allow the mother to name a father without him being present, other states such as California will only allow an unwed father to establish paternity by signing a voluntary declaration – the mother cannot have the father’s name put on the birth certificate without the father being present. A voluntary declaration of paternity that is signed by both parents has the same legal weight as any court order, meaning the father’s parental responsibilities are firmly in place when the form is submitted.

Preparing a Paternity Statement

If both the mother and father are present at the hospital and there is a level of certainty that the father is indeed the father of the child, it is unlikely that the couple will leave the hospital without having the father listed on the birth certificate or having signed an acknowledgment of paternity. If for some reason one of these two things do not happen, it is essential that the couple prepare and sign either an official state paternity or informal paternity statement in order to have the father listed on the birth certificate.

  • Official State Paternity Statement: All states have an official paternity acknowledgement form that a father can voluntarily sign in order to establish paternity. The time a father has to sign this form and establish paternity of the child will vary from state to state – some states have a time limit while others do not. A father’s signature on this acknowledgment form acts as a court order to establish a relationship between the father and the child.
  • Informal Paternity Statement: Given the father does not sign a paternity acknowledgement at the hospital or use the state’s official form, it is possible to create an informal paternity statement on his own. Sample Acknowledgment of Parenthood forms can be found online and this model can be used to include both parents’ names and then be signed by both parents. Two copies of this form should be prepared and both should also be notarized. These forms will come in handy should the father die and the mother need to establish paternity of their child.

Legal Problems Surrounding Paternity

In most cases, any legal problems that arise regarding paternity of a child are set forth by a need for child support. What many men do not realize is that simply not signing the birth certificate of acknowledgement of paternity form will not get them out of the responsibility of being a father. Should a father refuse to sign a paternity statement voluntarily, legal action will be taken to establish paternity in a court of law where a court ordered child support arrangement will also be made.

On the other side of these legal disputes are fathers who are seeking to exercise their parental rights, either to gain visitation with their child or even be granted custody. If the father was named on the birth certificate or if he signed the voluntary paternity statement, his rights should be well established should any legal issues arise. Although courts have traditionally sided with mothers in child support and custody matters, more and more states are upholding father’s rights, especially for those fathers who are making a consistent, honest effort to have a meaningful relationship with their child.

Paternity Acknowledgment When a Man is Not the Father

While establishing paternity is very important, doing so without knowing for certain whether or not the man truly is the father is risky. If a man is unsure if he is the father or knows for a fact that he is not, he should not sign the voluntary paternity statement. By signing this statement, he will then take on the financial responsibilities for a child that may not be his, including paying child support should an arrangement be made. Additionally, should the biological father come back into the situation and establish his paternity by DNA test, it is possible for the man to lose his paternity rights altogether.

Get help for paternity issues by filling out the Free Family Law Evaluation Form!

About The Author

1 thought on “How Do I Establish Paternity for My Child?”

  1. My son and this girl dated a little over a year ago, he found out that she had been seeing and talking to another guy, so they split! Within a month she found out she was pregnant, which we didn’t find out about until the baby was 6 months old! They did a at home DNA test and the baby was not his! But they rekindled their relationship, and she moved in with him, for a few months and then left and moved back in with her parents, stating that being grown and living on their own is to stressful for her! They continued to talk and somewhat date! At the start of February he caught her in several lies. They stopped talking, but started again in the 1st weekend of April 2021. 9n April 13th we found out she was pregnant again! On April 17th the dates of their relations juat weren’t adding up to him, so he contacted her ex, and found out they had been together at the very beginning of April! So now paternity is in question! Her ex decided that it was a good idea to inform her father(who she lives with) that his daughter is pregnant and doesn’t know if he or my son is the father! Her dad didn’t take that well, and has demanded that she has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with my son! (Great that’s fine) then contacted my son telling him “THAT HE WILL NEVER SEE HIS CHILD, HE WILL TAKE CUSTODY OF THE CHILD TO MAKE SURE HE DOESN’T”! My son’s father was never a part of his life! My son’s biggest fear is being his father! Which I can assure you, it’s not possible for that to happen! She has now blocked him from every means he had of contacting her! We have no way of knowing if she miscarries, has an abortion, try to place the baby for adoption, nothing! My son is 23 years old has his own place with his brother, and works for a very well know company in our area! He is in no way unfit to be in his child’s life if it turns out to be his! He wants nothing more than to be a full time .and active father! Can anything be done from a legal standpoint before the baby is born to establish paternity, and rights to his child?

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Now
Free Case Review
Scroll to Top